Sunday, March 11, 2012

#159. The Prairie Inn, 7806 E. Saanich Rd, Saanichton


This pub dates back to 1859, and was a popular stop on the old rail line that ran from Victoria to Sidney. I lived a stone's throw from here for many years.

I got to enjoy one of my favourite beers: a Lions Winter Ale from Granville Island Brewing. I love that hint of vanilla! And I also got to enjoy more losing at BC Keno.


I heard a nasty rumour that Granville Island - Canada's first microbrewery - had sold out to Molson Coors. Turns out to be true.



These three dudes were having the most demoralizing conversation. Whereas in Edinburgh I have met some extremely educated, charming, and eloquent people at the pubs, this is what you get at the Prairie Inn - cackling about "fuckin' crispy bacon eh in a fuckin' lattice work and then fuckin' cheese and some fuckin' potatahs and I just about fuckin' shit myself". Later I heard them discussing the pros and cons of pay toilets in European rail stations, and would you rather give a woman an organic facial garnish or take a really good dump.

While the patrons may not always be charming, I think this pub certainly is, if only for the sake of nostalgia.

No comments: